The fitness trainers across the globe thoroughly accept that abdominal crunches on an exercise ball improve flexibility, at least 40 times higher than the crunches done without any exercise ball support. Due to this, the fitness ball continues to be among the top 10 fitness equipments. Moreover, crunches on an exercise ball do not spare even the smallest core of the abdominal muscles, due to which effectiveness increases substantially. However, traditional exercises are not that much effective in toning the smaller abs muscles.
However, another exciting advantage of an exercise ball is that, if you are performing crunches on it, you do not feel any pain or stress on the spine, due to the soft surface of the ball. So, the chances of injury during the exercise shrink substantially. So, if you are already suffering from any type of back pains, then perform crunches only on a ball, with the supervision of a fitness trainer. Many a times, floor exercises can cause a sprain to your back. Exercise ball gives a feel that you are not doing any strenuous exercise ad also there is o fear of injury. However, it is a much harder form of exercise than the traditional one. Moreover, abdominal crunches on the exercise ball boost the digestion as well, so your metabolism improves automatically.
Following are the steps to do an abdominal crunch on an exercise ball:
- Lie down on the ball; make sure your lower back is resting comfortably on the ball.
- Place both the feet on the ground firmly, place both arms behind your head. Raise your torso and stare at the ceiling.
- Relax and inhale deeply; and get ready for the crunches.
- On exhale, push your torso against the gravity, including the middle and upper abs and let your head follow the chest. Do not pull the head forward forcefully. Instead, let your ab muscles do the work.
- As you curl up, make sure there is ample contraction between the ab muscles. Along with this, also make sure that the position of the ball is stable during the entire exercise.
- Now, slowly drop your chest and head backwards on the ball. Do not rest for longer. After 3-5 seconds, again curl up your chest with your head and get ready for the next abdominal crunch.
- You must repeat the exercise, at least 8-10 times. However, if your body strength permits you to go beyond that, then repeat the exercise as per your stamina.